mac 'n cheese casserole
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni or whole wheat pasta shapes
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 4 oz. reduced-fat sharp cheddar, grated (1 ¼ cups)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato slices
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While macaroni is cooking, place flour in a medium saucepan and gradually whisk in milk. Cook the milk and flour over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, until the milk begins to thicken. Add cheese, onion and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni and return to pot. Pour milk and cheese mixture over macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour macaroni into a casserole dish and top with tomato slices. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
per serving: 340 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 54g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 20g protein