maple sweet potato gratin
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Ready in: 1 hour 35 minutes Makes 8 servings, 4 oz. each
- 3 ½ lb. sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup maple flavored pancake syrup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups cereal (corn flakes)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 20–30 minutes, or until just barely tender when tested with a fork. Drain; rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange in a greased, shallow 2-quart baking dish in concentric circles, overlapping slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Combine the syrup and orange juice; pour over the potatoes. Cut 1 tablespoon of the butter into tiny bits and arrange evenly over the potatoes. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and the potatoes have absorbed some liquid.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in the remaining 3 tablespoons butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir into the cereal.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the topping. Bake, uncovered, for 15–20 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 390 calories, 10g fat, 5 saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 8g protein