matzo ball chicken soup
prep time: 35 minutes cook time: 2 hours ready in 2 hours 35 minutes makes" 12 servings, 1½ cups each
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1 4–5 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 carrots, cleaned and sliced
- 3 parsnips, cleaned and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, cleaned and sliced
- 2 leeks
- Sprig of dill or parsley
- 2½ quarts water
- Ground black pepper, to taste
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Beat eggs. Add water, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add matzo meal and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Rinse chicken and trim off excess fat.
- Trim off leek ends and top dark green leaves. Rinse leeks well and slice.
- In a pot, combine chicken, carrots, parsnips, celery and leeks. Add water and dill or parsley. Bring soup to boil, then simmer for 1½– 2 hours.
- While soup is boiling, form matzo mixture into 24 1-inch balls. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add matzo balls and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon and add to soup while it cooks for the last 10–15 minutes. Remove chicken bones before serving.
Per serving: 370 calories, 19g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 140mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 5g sugars, 29g protein