moroccan spice braised chicken with dates and almonds
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 8 servings
- 3½ lbs bone-in chicken parts
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1½ teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Ground Turmeric
- 1¾ cups Kitchen Basics® Original Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (about 6 oz.) pitted and quartered dates
- 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds
- Coat chicken with flour. Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add 1/2 of the chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding onion. Return all chicken to skillet.
- Mix cinnamon, cumin, ginger and turmeric in small bowl; add to skillet. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes to evenly coat chicken and onion with spices.
- Stir in stock, lemon juice and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in dates and almonds; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove cover; simmer 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Serve with cooked rice or couscous, if desired.
per serving: 386 Calories, Fat 18g, Protein 33g, Carbohydrates 23g, Cholesterol 96mg, Sodium 486mg, Fiber 3g
note: recipe provided by McCormick
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.