mushroom caps with crab topping
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 2 pieces each
- 16 oz. button mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup mushroom stems, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 8 oz. imitation crab, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspon ground black pepper
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove stems from mushrooms, finely chop 1/3 cup (discard remaining stems or save for another use).
- Place mushroom caps, hollow side down, on baking sheet. Spray or brush mushroom caps lightly with oil and roast in oven for 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Drain liquid from pan and turn caps hollow side up.
- In a small sauté pan, heat butter and sauté chopped mushroom stems, red peppers and garlic until lightly browned.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine chopped crab, the sautéed mixture, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, green onion and black pepper.
- For each mushroom, press some stuffing together into a mound and place on cap. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot. Makes about 24 appetizers.
Suggestion: Use larger mushroom caps for meal-sized portions.
per serving: 60 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 7g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 2g sugar, 4g protein