one skillet rice, vegetables and shrimp
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 3 cups each
- 1 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups broccoli cuts, florets or stir fry vegetables
- 1 lb raw shrimp, thawed in refrigerator if frozen
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in the skillet for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the celery and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in rice and water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low, place broccoli and shrimp on top of the rice, cover and simmer (you may need to adjust heat so that contents continue to simmer gently) for 15 minutes until rice is cooked, broccoli is tender and shrimp are pink.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper. Divide among plates. Enjoy!
per serving: 330 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 175mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 45g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 25g protein