pastry wrapped smokies
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 30 servings, 1 piece each
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup diced tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 sheet Simply Enjoy frozen puff pastry, thawed (half of 17.6 oz. package)
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese (or cheddar)
- 1 pkg (14 oz.) cocktail franks
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once melted add chopped onions and cook until soft and translucent. Add apple and cook until slightly browned. Turn heat up to high, then add apple cider and stir until liquid has evaporated, then remove from heat.
- While apple mixture is cooling, lay out one pastry sheet on a piece of wax paper and cut the pastry into 30 1" x 3" strips. Add a teaspoon of the apple mixture onto one end of each strip, sprinkle with cheese, top with a smokie and wrap toward the opposite end. Place wrapped smokies (seam side down) on a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
per serving: 70 calories, 5g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 3g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 2g protein