pickled green beans
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 5 minutes + refrigeration time
ready in: 24 hours, 20 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 3 oz. each
- 1 ½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons coarse kosher salt
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large bowl combine green beans, onion and garlic. Transfer half to each of 2 sterilized 1-quart glass jars. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns to each jar. If desired, add red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- For the brine, in a small saucepan combine 2 cups water with vinegar, sugar and salt. Place over medium-high heat; bring to boiling. Cook until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Carefully ladle brine into each jar, covering the green beans. Cover jars with sterilized lids. Refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Remove green beans from brine, and serve. (Refrigerate any remaining beans up to 2 weeks.)
Per serving: 40 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g protein