potato and leek mash
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 15 minutes ready in: 30 minutes makes: 4 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 lb russet potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 small leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat milk or buttermilk
- White pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- In a medium saucepan, place potatoes in enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, lightly coat a sauté pan with cooking spray. Add leeks, garlic and rosemary and sauté over medium heat until leeks are soft and golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly and return to the pot over low heat, stirring to evaporate any excess water. Add leeks, sour cream and milk or buttermilk. Mash until well-combined, adding more milk if necessary for a soft texture.
- Season to taste with pepper and sprinkle with chives.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.