quick turkey chili
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 lb ground turkey, 93% lean / 7% fat
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) Dark Red Kidney Beans, no salt added
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the turkey with the onion and green pepper; cook until the turkey is lightly browned.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, kidney beans and diced tomatoes; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Suggestion: Serve as-is, with a dollop of fat-free sour cream or with reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese.
Tip: If you are making this ahead of time, chili can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Chili may also be frozen and stored for 2 months.
per serving: 260 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 22g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 25g protein