sauteed cabbage, brussels sprouts and carrots
prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 25 minutes ready in: 35 minutes makes: 6 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large carrot, sliced into rings
- 5 cups (about 1 lb) chopped cabbage
- 2 cups (10 oz.) Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until softened.
- Stir in pepper and garlic. Add remaining oil and sauté carrots, cabbage and Brussels sprouts until lightly browned.
- Stir in juice, nutmeg, parsley and thyme. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serving suggestion: Use a dash of vinegar, a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of kosher salt for added flavor.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.