prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 45 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1/2 cup each
- 2 lbs peeled russet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divded
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cup 2% fat milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Thinly slice potatoes to measure 4 cups and place in water to avoid browning.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Mix in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil gently and stir for 1 minute.
- Arrange potato slices in the casserole in 3 layers, topping each of the first two layers with 1/2 of the onion and 1/3 of the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and the remaining sauce. Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into 8 pieces and scatter on top of the casserole.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Uncover the casserole and cook for an additional 60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes covered with foil before serving.
per serving: 190 calories, 7g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 5g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.