shrimp and orzo italiano
prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 30 minutes ready in: 45 minutes makes: 4 servings, 6 oz. each
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, including tops, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup multi-colored orzo pasta, plain can be substituted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ lb. raw shrimp, peeled
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Over medium-high heat, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add 2/3 cup onions and sauté until tender, about 1 minute. Add stock and heat to boiling.
- Add orzo, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 9–11 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add shrimp and cook 2–3 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Garnish with remaining onions.
- Serve with a side of broccoli or green beans