simple roasted turkey
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: variable (depends on size of turkey)
makes: variable (depends on size of turkey)
- 1 whole thawed or fresh turkey (plan on 1 lb per person)
- 2 cups turkey stock
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- salt and pepper
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets from the body cavity of the turkey. Rinse the turkey and pat dry.
- Place the turkey on the roasting rack in the roasting pan. Rub with softened butter and season with salt and pepper. (For this simple recipe, we are going to skip stuffing the turkey so that the turkey and stuffing cook evenly.)
- Pour stock into bottom of pan. Cover turkey with aluminum foil tent. Place turkey in oven and baste about every 60 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, remove the foil tent and continue roasting until meat thermometer placed in the breast, outer thigh, and inner thigh all reach 165°F.
- Remove from oven. Using a turkey lifter or 2 large forks placed into each end of the cavity, remove from pan and place on cutting board or serving platter. Let rest for about 20 minutes before carving.
Note: Nutrition information will vary depending on choice of breast meat or dark meat. Information provided is for 3 oz. portion of a combination.
per serving: 150 calories, 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 25g protein