skillet sausage and rice
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 12 oz. each
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 (16 oz.) pkg. frozen pepper stir-fry blend (mixed bell peppers and onion)*
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups instant brown rice
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. Add frozen vegetables, green onions and garlic powder; cook and stir until softened.
- Add broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to boiling. Add rice to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- *For variety, use a 7 oz package of your favorite blend of vegetables.
per serving: 640 calories, 35g fat, 11g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 1080mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 0g sugars, 22g protein