grilled southwest vegetable pizza
prep time: 45 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 6, 1 slice servings
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 1/2 medium Vidalia onion, trimmed and sliced in thirds, crossways
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ear corn on the cob
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons southwest seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 oz. frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- If using a gas grill, heat half the grill on high and the other half on low. If using a charcoal grill, place the hot coals to one side.
- Place bell peppers, Poblano pepper and onion slice on the hot side. Grill until all sides are slightly charred. Remove from grill. Remove the seeds from the peppers; coarsely chop the peppers and the onions. Place all sauce ingredients into a blender and puree.
- Grill corn on the hot side of the grill until slightly charred and softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from grill and cut the kernels off the cob. Combine with black beans, jalapeno and seasoning in a bowl.
- Dust a clean work surface with the cornmeal. Roll the dough into a circle shape to desired thickness. Remember, thinner crusts cook quicker.
- With all ingredients near the grill, brush one side of the pizza dough with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and place that side down on the hot side of the grill. Grill for about 3 to 5 minutes; check often so it does not burn. While cooking brush the top part with olive oil. When ready, flip the crust to the low side.
- Quickly spread the sauce on the crust and top with bean mixture and cheese. Close the lid and grill of another 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the crust is firm.
- Remove pizza from grill. Top with the chopped cilantro and squeeze lime juice over the pizza.s.
per serving: 300 calories, 13g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 38g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 11g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.