spinach & cheese strata
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Makes 12 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 16 oz. fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 8 cups cubed (1 inch) French or Italian bread (1/2 lb)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- 9 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, melt butter and cook onion over medium heat, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in spinach until wilted, then remove from heat.
- Spray a 3-quart ceramic baking dish and spread 1/3 of bread cubes on bottom. Top evenly with 1/3 of spinach mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of each cheese. Repeat layering twice (ending with cheeses).
- Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over bread, spinach and cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Let strata stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake on middle rack, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until golden, puffy, and cooked through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 230 calories, 9g fat, 5g saturated fat, 155mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 5g sugars, 15g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.