steak & onion bites
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 30 servings, 1.5 oz. each
- 1 ¼ lb top sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper
- 12 oz. French bread baguette (3-inch diameter)
- 2 cups tender greens or baby spinach
- Preheat broiler. Trim fat from steak and place on broiler pan. Rub both sides of steak with garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Broil 6 minutes on each side until medium rare or internal temperature reaches 145°F. Allow steak to rest 10 minutes before slicing against the grain into thin strips.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat and sauté onions just until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and continue to cook, about 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and chipotle pepper. Slice baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- To assemble, spread chipotle mayonnaise on bread slices. Top bread with beef slices, then with greens and onions.
Tip: Beef, onions and mayonnaise may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to assemble.
per serving: 90 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 10g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 1g sugars, 8g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.