stovetop green bean casserole
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 lb green beans
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Toasted Bread Crumbs
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- ground black pepper to taste
- pinch of rosemary
- Cook green beans in microwave or on stovetop. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat and add bread crumbs. Stir constantly until crumbs are nicely toasted; reserve for topping.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms until tender and lightly browned. Remove mushrooms and keep warm.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until tender and lightly browned.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together flour and half & half and pour into skillet with the onions. Cook until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in mushrooms and cooked, drained green beans.
- Transfer mixture to a warmed serving dish. Top with toasted bread crumbs.
per serving: 120 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 23g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 4g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.