sweet matzo brei
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 5 minutes
ready in: 10 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1 cup each
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 sheets whole wheat or plain matzo
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Break matzo sheets into pieces in a medium bowl, pour hot water over matzo pieces and stir gently for about 30 seconds until all pieces are moist but still firm. Pour matzo in a strainer and drain surplus water. Place moistened matzo back into medium bowl, combine with egg mixture and mix well.
- In a medium frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add matzo mixture all at once and when egg starts to set, stir and brown other sides. Cook through until well done but still soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle on top of each serving. Top matzo brei with your favorite jam or maple syrup, optional.
Note:Make sure all ingredients are listed as Kosher for Passover.
per serving: 130 calories, 6g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 185mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 13g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 1g sugars, 8g protein