sweet ’n sour pork chops
prep time: 7 minutes
cook time: 4 hours, 50 minutes
ready in: 5 hours
makes: 4 servings, 6½ oz. each
- 1 lb. boneless top loin pork chops (New York chops), 1-inch thick
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pkg. (14.4 oz.) frozen bell pepper stir-fry blend
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; place over high heat. Sprinkle both sides of chops with pepper to taste; add to skillet. Cook 1–2 minutes per side or just until browned. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic; whisk until sugar dissolves. Pour over chops. Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
- Add frozen vegetables to slow cooker; increase heat to high. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour more or until chops are heated through (145°F) and vegetables are tender. Transfer chops to a platter, reserving cooking liquid and vegetables in slow cooker.
- For the sauce, whisk together cornstarch and 4 teaspoons cold water in a microwave-safe bowl until dissolved. Stir in cooking liquid from slow cooker. Microwave on high 2 minutes or until sauce come to a boil and thickens; return to slow cooker. Toss sauce with vegetables until well-coated. Spoon vegetables and sauce over chops and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories, 7g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 7g sugars, 25g protein