prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1 piece each
- 8 chopped ripe Roma tomatoes (or petite diced canned tomatoes, drained)
- 5 leaves chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 dash crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2–3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/2" thick slices
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, oregano, red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil. Allow the mixture to sit for 10–15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Place the bread slices on baking sheets and drizzle slices with olive oil. Bake until golden on the top. Remove from oven, turn over and return to oven for another 4–5 minutes.
- Spread the tomato mixture on the still warm toasts and serve. Or, serve tomato mixture in a decorative serving bowl and have your guests make their own.
Per Serving: 330 calories, 20g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 6g protein