turkey meatballs with pineapple glaze
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 12 servings, 2 pieces each
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drain and reserve juice
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into 24 cubes
- cocktail picks
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 15x10x1-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or coat lightly with oil. Mix first 5 ingredients until well combined. Shape into 24 meatballs. Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, mix the cornstarch, brown sugar, ginger, reserved pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the meatballs, green pepper and pineapple chunks and heat through.
- Thread each cocktail pick with a meatball, pineapple chunk and green pepper.
per serving: 130 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 9g protein