twenty minute salsa chicken and rice
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups instant brown or white rice
- 2 Tablespoons salsa, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a bowl combine chicken and garlic powder and mix together. Let chicken marinate covered, under refrigeration until needed.
- In a 4-quart pot, add rice, chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of salsa together and bring to a boil. Let the rice simmer until cooked to desired texture.
- In a skillet, brown chicken for 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout. (The meat should no longer be pink when cut with a knife and should register 165°F on a meat thermometer). Add remaining salsa to chicken and mix together.
- To serve, place the rice on a plate and top with chicken. Garnish with a wedge of lemon and sprigs of fresh cilantro.
per serving: 380 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 57g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 34g protein