vegetarian taco salad
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 3 cups each
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) red kidney beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 oz. baked tortilla chips
- 4 oz. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Guacamole or avocado slices (optional)
- Salsa or pepper sauce (optional)
- Drain and rinse kidney beans and black beans and place in a large skillet.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until onions and tomatoes are soft and liquid has thickened.
- To serve, place tortilla chips on a large plate, then layer with cooked bean mixture, cheese, lettuce, cucumber and bell pepper. Top with sour cream. Add guacamole or salsa if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 480 calories, 10g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate, 15g fiber, 15g sugars, 28g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.