Stop & Shop Invests $70 Million in Greater Hartford Stores to Offer New Features Like More Fresh & Healthy Foods, Improved Digital Solutions & Lower Prices on Thousands of Items
Quincy, Mass. - October 4, 2018 - Stop & Shop, a neighborhood grocer for more than 100 years, today unveiled a fresh new look for its brand starting at 21 stores in the Hartford, Conn. area. The new look comes with a $70 million capital investment to improve the in-store experience with a focus on delivering more fresh, fast, local and healthy options so busy customers can get back to what matters most. Hartford will serve as a test market for the brand to pilot features like an in-store smoker, poke bowl and taqueria stations, and frictionless checkout, which will be used to inform updates across the brand’s 400+ stores over the next several years. Stop & Shop is also investing heavily to lower prices on thousands of items that customers purchase most, while also offering a larger assortment of affordable items from store brands like Nature’s Promise.
“We recognize that our customer is changing, and we’re evolving our entire shopping experience to better serve them. They’re focused on getting back to their lives, juggling many responsibilities and we want to make grocery shopping even easier and faster for them,” said Stop & Shop President Mark McGowan. “Hartford is the first step in our journey towards repositioning our brand for future success and in helping our communities enjoy better food and better lives.”
Stop & Shop’s new look includes a modernized store format and a new logo, which is a nod to the brand’s past and its legacy of breaking new ground in convenience. The brand’s updated format reflects a customer-centric approach and a commitment to reshape its shopping experience around the customer and their evolving needs.
Stop & Shop opened its first store in the Greater Hartford area in 1940. The brand now employs over 3,000 people in the region, and the remodeled stores are expected to increase headcount by 7%. While updates will vary by store location, highlights of the refreshed stores include the following:
- Smoker - Customers can choose from meats like brisket, pulled pork and baby back ribs slow cooked up to 14 hours over solid hickory wood.
- Focus on Local, Fresh, and Quality - Stores will feature more space dedicated to fresh produce and more locally grown and produced items like apples from Rogers Orchards in Southington, beer from CT favorite Two Roads, plus coffee beans roasted right in Hartford.
- New In-Store Experiences - Customers can create their own olive oil and vinegar blends like fig-infused balsamic at DIY machines. They can also fill up growlers at a kombucha fountain, or find out what food pairs best with a hoppy IPA at an informational craft beer kiosk.
- Community Tables - In-store cafes will feature “community tables” made from reclaimed wood so neighbors can gather together with family-style seating. Digital community boards will also share local fundraisers and other events around town.
- Poke Bowl & Taqueria Stations - New stations will make it easy to grab fresh, healthy meals with global flavors to-go.
- Curbside Pickup - Customers can pull up beneath solar-powered canopies to pick-up their online Peapod orders, which will soon be assembled by a miniature robotic warehouse thanks to a new partnership with Takeoff Technologies.
- Frictionless Checkout - Customers can save time when shopping in-store by using the SCAN IT! Mobile app, which provides a frictionless checkout experience. No waiting in line required.
Ribbon cutting events will take place simultaneously at all 21 stores at 11am on Friday, October 5th, and will kick-off grand re-opening festivities that will take place throughout the month like pumpkin painting, carnival games, and special appearances by alumni players of The New England Patriots.
To commemorate the occasion, Stop & Shop will also be donating $25,000 to its longtime partner Foodshare - the largest anti-hunger organization in the Greater Hartford area. Over its 78-year history in the area, Stop & Shop has provided support for community organizations like the Boys & Girls Clubs of Hartford and the YMCA of Metropolitan Hartford - and also has been principal sponsor of the Manchester Road Race for nearly a decade.
To learn more about Stop & Shop’s new look and Hartford area store events, visit www.facebook.com/StopandShop.
About Stop & Shop
A neighborhood grocer for more than 100 years, today’s Stop & Shop is refreshed, reenergized and inspired, delivering new conveniences for customers. Committed to helping its communities enjoy better food and better lives, Stop & Shop has a longstanding history of giving back to the neighborhoods it serves with a focus on fighting hunger and helping children to enjoy a healthy lifestyle. The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC is an Ahold Delhaize USA Company and employs more than 61,000 associates and operates over 400 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit stopandshop.com.